Monday, March 06, 2006

A Weekend in Wales


My aunt and uncle live in South Wales, near a town called Abergavenny. One weekend I ventured there from London to stay with them. Despite having a fair head cold, I had a really enjoyable weekend in one of the prettiest parts of Britain that I've come across thus far.

The first day I was there, my aunt took me into Abergavenny (they live in one of the nearby villages) where we looked at the Abergavenny Castle, and the shops and markets, then in the afternoon we took a drive up the Blorenge, and then lovely drive through the Black Mountains, stopping at Llanthony Priory along the way. We even stopped at the tiny pub underneath the Priory for a quick 'Double Dragon'...


Llanthony Priory (left) and the pond at the top of the Blorenge, half frozen over... It was cold up there!

A couple of friends came over to say hi!


On my second day in Wales, we went for a drive. The day's travel took us through Raglan and Chepstow to see the castles of the same name. Chepstow is one of the Welsh strongholds, built on the banks of the Wye River. Our travels following this took us up the Wye Valley. Unfortunately the low tide of the river, and the misty day prevented me from seeing this beautiful area at it's best, but I did get to see the famous Tintern Abbey by the river. Then after watching Wales beat Scotland in the Six Nations, it was time to head back home to London, along with the celebrating and commiserating fans travelling out from Cardiff.



Raglan Castle (left) flying the Welsh Flag and Chepstow Castle on the banks of the Wye

1 comment:

Alison said...

Great to hear from you CLaire! These photos are so beautiful - you really do have an amazing talent here. Love the horses!