Sunday, March 26, 2006

At home in London

While at times it may look as if I'm doing anything but working and living in London... I have been making a lot of effort to see the sights of my temporary hometown.

I'm living in Canary Wharf, which has been quite pleasant (and convenient for getting around). It's well linked by tube or DLR (Docklands Light Rail), and full of high rise, major banks, modern pubs and bars, sometimes I feel like I'm still living in Sydney! To be honest, it took me a long time to work out exactly how to get around Canary Wharf. You can walk around for ages underground, come up to the ground level and have little idea how to get back to where you need to go. Each of the main buildings are linked underground - you could work in this area and spend entire days never going outside! I usually choose the overland route...
Canary Wharf, and Docklands as a whole, is a maze of waterways and residential complexes. It seems to mean that almost everyone can have a waterfront place (except for me that is! I have a nice view of the apartments opposite me). Still it's a very pleasant place to wander around, and the abundance of security officers means you always feel pretty safe, even walking around late at night.


I walk across this footbridge almost every day. Canada Tower, in the centre is where my office is, however I don't often need to go there.


Views of the high rise of Canary Wharf. On the right is the stillest I've ever seen the waters in this part

So on most weekends that I'm not jetting out over Europe, I'll usually venture into town and take a look around. There are so many different places you can go in London, it's hard to get to all of them. Sometime it's nice to just go wandering and see what you can find... On occasion, I've managed to 'find': the Tower of London, the ever impressive Tower Bridge, lots of parklands, endless bridges over the Thames, the British Museum (I looked for the Elgin marbles, expecting to see a pile of round balls... I found the Parthenon!) and lots of great shops... I have been having fun discovering London.


The Tower of London
The spectacular Tower Bridge
Early evening at Trafalgar Square, and silhouette (at Midday!) of the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye
As for the weather... well it has been cold... So far there's been two days where I haven't felt the need to venture out in my winter coat. But despite the cold, it has been fine. I remember a time where 15 degrees would strike fear into my heart... I think I managed to acclimatise very well, and am not that bothered by the cold anymore. Especially on the few occasions where it has snowed.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I amm proud of you for adapting so well to the winter weather Claire. It was a balmy 30 degrees in Sydney today! :)