Sunday, August 20, 2006

Museum of Modern Art


The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) on W 53rd Street



Interesting exhibits in the design gallery

A friend had recommended to me that this was a museum I’d really enjoy. How right he was – it was probably the best museum I’ve ever been to. Full of artworks by the likes of Van Gogh, Kandinsky, Warhol, Picasso, Matisse, Magritte and a great smattering of unusual sculptures, an amazing photography section and a couple of rooms full of design – fabulous chairs and the like. I don’t necessarily know what it all means, but it was certainly an engaging museum. The artworks were really thought provoking, and in many cases, reminded me of works I’d seen in other museums of the world. Not only is the art extraordinary, but the building is remarkable, even including a suspended helicopter. I also had a great minestrone at the museum café – far cry from the food available at most museums.
Interior of the museum, and Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Cans exhibit

No comments: